Ertz had been out the first four weeks of the season with a right knee sprain. She last played for the U.S. women’s national team in the first game of the SheBelieves Cup vs. Germany on March 1.
The Red Stars will also be bolstered by Sam Kerr‘s return from international duty. Kerr, the 2017 NWSL MVP who was acquired in a January trade, has yet to play for the Red Stars this season, but will likely make her debut on Saturday vs. the Spirit.
Other notable updates in the Week 5 injury report:
- Seattle Reign FC midfielder Megan Rapinoe is still out with a left hamstring strain.
- North Carolina Courage defender Abby Dahlkemper is questionable with a left ankle sprain.
- Portland Thorns FC goalkeeper Adrianna Franch is out with a right meniscus tear.
- Portland Thorns FC forward Hayley Raso is out with a left knee sprain.
- On Friday afternoon, Washington Spirit midfielder Rebecca Quinn (right TFL muscle strain) was upgraded from out to questionable.