NWSL Offseason Notebook: Christine Sinclair honored, Utah and Chicago complete trade
News and notes from around the league this offseason
- Ahead of the January 16 draft in Baltimore, the league released its preliminary list of eligible players. The Orlando Pride currently hold the number one selection in the draft.
- 27 of the 28 players called into January camp by U.S. women’s national team coach Vlatko Andonovski play in the NWSL. The camp is the final event before Adonovski picks his roster for the 2020 Concacaf Women’s Olympic Qualifying Championship.
Chicago Red Stars
- Brooke Elby announced her retirement from professional soccer to become Co-Executive Director for the NWSL Players Association. Elby, who made 54 career league appearances, acted as NWSL PA President in 2019.
- Maria Sanchez left the club and signed with Chivas Femenil in her native Mexico.
- The Red Stars acquired forward Makenzy Doniak from the Utah Royals in exchange for their natural second round selection in the 2021 NWSL College Draft. Doniak featured in the University of Virginia’s 2014 National Championship team with new teammates Danielle Colaprico and Morgan Brian.
North Carolina Courage
- Debinha scored two goals and assisted another in a pair of dominating international friendly wins for Brazil against Mexico.
- Forward Christine Sinclair was named Canada Soccer’s Player of the Decade. Sinclair, who has been with the Thorns since 2013, is Canada Soccer’s all time record holder in goals (183) and appearances (289).
- OL Groupe, the parent company of Olympique Lyonnais, recently acquired a 89.5% majority stake in Reign FC. Additionally, NBA legend Tony Parker, who currently is an OL brand ambassador in the United States, acquired a 3% stake in the deal. The move sees the Reign Academy become part of the OL family.
Sky Blue FC
- Freya Combe, who was named interim head coach in September of 2019, will be the club’s permanent head coach in 2020. Coombe previously held roles as Director of Scouting and a Development Academy Coach at New York Soccer Club.
Utah Royals FC
- Utah acquired a natural second round selection in the 2021 NWSL College Draft from the Chicago Red Stars in exchange for Makenzy Doniak.
- The Washington Spirit signed forward Kumi Yokoyama from AC Nagano Parceiro in her native Japan. The 26 year old forward has tallied 100 goals in her six year career, and has been capped 43 times for the Japan Women’s National Team.